May 28, 2018

Plant of the Week: Chardonnay Pearls

Hello! I hope you're having a relaxing Memorial Day and, for those of you like me who work at a desk all week, have made the most of the long weekend. We were lucky to have nice, warm, sunny weather. Great for gardening.

As promised, this week I'm going back to sharing Jane's Plant of the Week. It's Chardonnay Pearls® Deutzia. I was just at Dale's gardens at the end of last week and I wish I had taken a picture of the one that's over there, it is simply breathtaking. The flowers aren't open yet and they truly look like little pearls delicately dangling from each branch. 

Never the less, we have lots of great images of this spectacular plant to share, so let's take a look at Jane's write-up:

This Bud's for you...

I'm talking about horticultural buds. As in flowers.

Chardonnay Pearls®  Deutzia
This has been a really great spring for admiring a plant feature that is often missed. When the weather is consistently warm, flower buds can go right from first gear to fifth in a few days. We've had quite a bit of cool, rainy weather. While this is dreary and complicates my lawn-mowing schedule it does provide an opportunity to appreciate the restrained beauty of flower buds.

Chardonnay Pearls® is a great example of this. I've really enjoyed seeing the elegant pearl-like buds that hover above the foliage of this little plant. It's a delicate quality that is just lovely. I'm enjoying this plant in my own yard, and have spotted it in some landscapes around town, too. It's a delightful addition to the spring garden.

Crisp white buds appear first, then explode into a shower of white spring flowers. All the while, the refreshing chartreuse foliage adds a pop of color to beds and borders. Unlike other deutzia which do their thing in spring and then fades away, Chardonnay Pearls® Deutzia adds color to the landscape all summer long.

Plant of the Week is written by Jane Beggs-Joles

Featured Post

Plant of the Week: Emerald Envy® Viburnum

Plant of the Week is written by Jane Beggs-Joles The Emerald City is on my mind right now because I'm headed to Seattle this week for ...